What if you could continue the feeling of gratefulness that Thanksgiving inspires in November throughout the year, among friends and family members? Following are ideas for inspiring a spirit of gratitude and giving both during the holidays and throughout the year:
- Gratitude: Not just at Thanksgiving, but at family dinners, ask guests and family members to share what he/she is most grateful for in 2017.
- Appreciation: There is no better feeling than being appreciated and valued. Go around the holiday dinner table and for each guest, ask another family member or guest to share one quality or thing they appreciate about this guest.
- Philanthropy: Provide each child and/or grandchild with an envelope that contains a card with a dollar amount to give to charity in 2018. Ask your children/grandchildren to find a cause and an organization that they care about. Ask them to find out how their money will be used and encourage them bring the check to the organization. Share with them your philosophy for giving and ask them to be prepared to share their story of making a difference at Thanksgiving next year.
- Service: Volunteer as a family. Fill boxes at a food pantry, make a donation to a person or family, or serve meals at a shelter.
- Generosity: Invite a widow, single person, or someone who is lonely to share in your family Thanksgiving meal. Have the family choose a single parent or a struggling family to give a grocery store gift card.
- Legacy: Begin building your legacy story. Ask the children and grandchildren to interview the older generations about stories growing up, when they learned about giving back, life lessons, and what they want to be remembered for as an individual and as a family. You can create a list of questions, have them record the answers along with any photos, and put them in a safe place. Each year someone can read from the box.
- Family Mission: Write your family mission statement together about what values you want family members to live by. Ask the creative family members to design a family crest or flag with images that reflect the family’s heritage and values.
- Tradition and Memories: Create a new tradition for Thanksgiving dinner, and ask each family member to share a favorite family or holiday memory. Record them for safekeeping to read aloud at future Thanksgiving dinners.
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION
Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by First Foundation Advisors), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from First Foundation Advisors. To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. First Foundation Advisors is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the First Foundation Advisors’ current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. Please Note: First Foundation Advisors does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to First Foundation Advisors’ web site or incorporated herein, and takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly.