INSIGHTS FROM FIRST FOUNDATION

A First Foundation Blog

Market Action Update: Repricing Risk

Much of what we wrote earlier this week still holds true today, but here are the latest developments to our investment outlook given the week’s events.

The market is clearly repricing risk and more importantly reassessing growth, both economically and globally, as well as the underlying effect to company earnings. It’s important to revisit the fundamentals of asset valuation. Global capital values are established by future economic profits; are they growing or contracting. A company consistently growing earnings will get rewarded through multiple expansion as investors are willing to pay more for that consistent earnings growth. The unknown with COVID-19 right now is at what pace does it spread over the globe, the mortality rate, how it disrupts supply chains, and ultimately the global consumer.

Some companies will be clear winners; the first to market with a vaccine, companies who are not reliant on brick and mortar spaces to connect with their consumers, and those service companies that are based in the cloud. I for one will be spending the weekend avoiding people and streaming movies! Analysts are currently lowering both global growth expectations, specifically looking at China and tangentially Europe, as well as profit growth for companies. As investors, we must ask ourselves – is global growth permanently impaired? Will every company make zero dollars in 2020? Or even the next? In the past, we’ve noted that investment returns have been “pulled forward” from future years, specifically years such as 2017 and 2019 (+21.83% and +31.49% respectively). The market tends to overshoot both on the upside and downside.

To be clear, this week’s bout of volatility has been historic. U.S. treasury bonds have hit new record lows. The 30-year U.S. treasury turned into a 10-year while the 10-year turned into a 2-year. Long duration assets continue to disappear. The S&P 500 saw its fastest 10% correction from its peak, needing only 6 trading sessions to reverse course. For the Dow Jones Industrial Average index, from 1992 through 2019, on an average, out of 252 trading days in a year,  there are 192 days with a daily percent change of less than 1%, 45 days between 1% and 2%, 10 days with greater than 2%, 3 days greater than 3%, 1 day greater than 4%, and 1 day greater than 5%. Better said, on average the Dow sees about 5 days a year where it moves +/-3% in a day. We’ve had a year’s worth of volatility just this week. Investors are now pricing in a 100% chance of a rate cut at the Fed’s March meeting, with a 44% chance of one rate cut and a 56% chance of two. Futures are fully pricing in three cuts for 2020, and odds of potentially a fourth cut. All this after just twelve business days ago domestic equity markets touched new record highs.  

We remain diligent in monitoring current market events, specifically the spread of COVID-19, for any data that may change the odds of our base case scenario of a slowly growing global economy. As always, we appreciate your confidence in us. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to your wealth advisor for questions. 

IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION    

Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by First Foundation Advisors), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from First Foundation Advisors. Please remember that if you are a First Foundation client, it remains your responsibility to advise First Foundation, in writing, if there are any changes in your personal/financial situation or investment objectives for the purpose of reviewing/evaluating/revising our previous recommendations and/or services, or if you would like to impose, add, or to modify any reasonable restrictions to our investment advisory services. To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. First Foundation Advisors is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the First Foundation Advisors’ current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request, or at firstfoundationinc.com.  Please Note: First Foundation Advisors does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to First Foundation Advisors’ web site or incorporated herein, and takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly.

Andrew Chan, CAIA, Managing Director of Portfolio Strategy
About the Author
Andrew Chan, CAIA, Managing Director of Portfolio Strategy
Mr. Chan serves on the investment team and is responsible for conducting investment manager research and portfolio construction. As a member of the investment committee, he provides market commentary and investment insights. Mr. Chan’s responsibilities include overseeing client portfolios, calculating risk metrics, conducting the rebalancing of client portfolios, and evaluating the selection of new investment managers. With over 10 years of wealth management experience, Mr. Chan has played key roles across various aspects of investment and wealth management. Prior to joining First Foundation Advisors, Mr. Chan was most recently a portfolio manager at U.S. Trust where, in addition to his daily responsibilities, he served on numerous internal committees including the investment manager committee, the portfolio model committee, and the strategic technology committee. He also served on the in-house strategic consultant committee reporting directly to the President of U.S. Trust. Mr. Chan is a graduate of the Wharton School Executive Program on Investment Management and holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration from the University of California, Riverside. He is a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA). Mr. Chan serves on the executive board for CAIA Los Angeles and is the Interim President for the association. Read more